Reusable, Comfortable, Functional

Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Trip To Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park

My husband and I were finally able to get away with the kids on a short family vacation. We had heard of the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Garden a while ago, and I really wanted to go. It is about a 3 hour drive each way from where we live, so we made it an overnight trip so we wouldn't be rushed and exhausted. We were fortunate enough to visit during the Chihuly Glass Sculpture displays and the ArtPrize.
I really like this sculpture of the horse.


Having a love of gardening, I really like this sculpture of the trowel. It was quite large - compare the size of the trowel with the trees!


This is an amazingly massive sculpture. My daughter said she wished it was a slide.


I don't like spiders, but this was a pretty cool sculpture. My daughter was a little afraid.


This beaver was interesting. Quite friendly little guy. Well, actually, he was pretty big.



I liked the animal footprints in the stonework. We enjoyed trying to guess the different types of animals the prints belonged to.


This is the TreeHouse in the Children's Garden. My husband and I took turns taking our daughter through it since our son was in the stroller. Lot's of fun!

This is a plant in the room with many variations of cactus. My daughter especially liked this one and said it needs a haircut!

Very nice sculpture. I can't imagine the time, sweat and patience it took to create this.

As a mother, I really enjoyed this one.
Overall, we had a great time and I am so glad we took the time to see this. Sometimes the best vacations are short and sweet, and close to home.

6 comments:

  1. Very cool sculptures...love the garden trowel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat sculptures. I love the horse. Actually I love all the sculptures and the site looks beautiful. I'm glad you had a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sculptures are fantastic, lucky you for seeing them in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mispelled :(
    Here it is again!

    Hi,

    I couldnt choose a "Fav".
    Your photo's are wonderful.
    Looks like a very nice day trip with the family!

    I found you on the Handmadeolgy Forum, and am now a "follower" of your Blog.
    I hope you can do the same :)
    Here is the link ot my Blog:
    http://headpinwear.blogspot.com/

    Thank you,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete